Subject: HAVE draft comment posted

All,

I and others on and off the OASIS EM-TC would like to post a recommendation that the National Information Exchange Model (NIEM) Naming and Design Rules (NDR) be adopted and applied to the HAVE committee draft.  My understanding is that, although a consistent convention was used to name the elements, no formal NDR has been followed for HAVE or for Resource Messaging (RM).

Please note that not adopting the NDR does not prevent use of NIEM to develop exchanges using EDXL standards; however, the difficulty for practitioners may be increased otherwise.  I realize that this feels Federal government-driven, but I don’t see a down-side since the particular semantics applied should not negatively impact the International community.

Benefits:

·         Use HAVE as the starting point to begin applying a published and consistent naming convention across the EDXL standards

·         Promote reuse and facilitate simpler and more seamless use of NIEM for the development of IEPD’s and implementation of exchanges using the EDXL standards.

·         Provide a straight-forward avenue and mechanism for state and local organizations to comply with grants language which specifies NIEM and EDXL

We do not feel that the specification should be held up; HAVE should proceed into the 60-day comment period with this and other comments that have been posted.  If adopted by the TC, recommend that the NIEM NDR be adopted for the draft Resource Messaging and subsequent standards, and possibly to the Distribution Element when a successive version is put forth.

I welcome any comments or feedback.  I will be on the call Thursday at 4:45.  Because HAVE is pending committee vote, I don’t know where this comment should be formally posted.  Please advise and I will ensure that gets done.

Sincerely,

Tim Grapes
Evolution Technologies, Inc.

Office:  (703) 654-6075