Subject: Re: [emergency] Azos AI, LLC Patent

Title: Re: [emergency] Azos AI, LLC Patent
Thanks Renato,

Apparently, this third party claim is based on an assumption that their patent pertains to any transport protocol that supports a "device for which a communication controller" can "assume control over incoming communications." This is in some sense an Essential Claim.

So I guess we get to research what an Essential Claim means.

W3C:
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/#def-essential

OASIS:
Essential Claims - those claims in any patent or patent application in any jurisdiction in the world that would necessarily be infringed by an implementation of those portions of a particular OASIS Committee Specification or OASIS Standard created within the scope of the TC charter in effect at the time such specification was developed. A claim is necessarily infringed hereunder only when it is not possible to avoid infringing it because there is no non-infringing alternative for implementing the Normative Portions of that particular OASIS Committee Specification or OASIS Standard. Existence of a non-infringing alternative shall be judged based on the state of the art at the time the OASIS Specification is approved

FWIW: The Patent Abstract:
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6359970.html

"A communications controller is provided for empowering the user of a communications device, such as a telephone or other device, to assume control over incoming communications...."