Subject: RE: [emergency] HAVE comments - explicitly identifying thenormative parts in the data dictionary

Title: RE: [emergency] HAVE comments - explicitly identifying the
Hi Lee,

Understood and agreed. I would suggest we adopt whatever is finally decided in EDXL-HAVE for EDXL-RM, as we discussed in the EM-Msg meeting Thursday.

At 12:33 PM -0400 9/28/07, Lee Tincher wrote:
Rex,

I am not aware of any standard Data Dictionary in our processŠ.as a matter of fact we have elements with the same names - but different definitions - within the EDXL standards now.  I agree with all of your statements, but I think it is a stretch to call our element descriptions in each of the differing standards a data dictionaryŠ.my hope is to standardize on one for all of our standards to remove confusionŠ.

Just a clarification noteŠ..

Thanks,
Lee
'We the unwilling, led by the unknowing have been doing the difficult with little for so long that we are now ready to tackle the impossible with nothing.' -- Local Fire communications reserve volunteer motto

From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 11:48 AM
To: Lee Tincher; 'Rex Brooks'; 'Renato Iannella'; emergency@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Lee,

I think that including NIEM as a resource and an example in the RIM a very good idea. It can give us a credible example of the development of absract principles that guide the creation of concrete classes (elements) in specifications. We can then show how the elements can be used in applications as instances. Of course that requires some practitioners who are willing to share their processes.

Hopefully we will be able to clearly elucidate the chain from real world scenarios drawn from Subject Matter Experts to clearly drawn Use-Cases from which exacting requirements are derived. We should be able provide examples of how such requirements allow us to produce explicit elements in specifications that address and reference these requirements (which we do now in our data dictionary).

I think that providing this kind of traceable clarity is one of most significant contributions we can make both to the practice of Emergency Response Management and to the process of writing standards. We have learned a boatload of lessons which we can continue to use. I would love to see your experiences distilled as a set of lessons learned and recommendations for improving these processes.

As painful as these lessons can sometimes be, there are usually nuggets of practical wisdom in our experiences which might help make future work a tad easier, quicker, etc.