Subject: RE: [emergency] RE: Sample email to interested partiesWRTgeoenhancements to CAP

Hi Art:

I think this is a good point.  Suppose you use GML geometries in CAP
constructs.  For example, a GML point is encoded as follows:

<gml:Point srsName = "urn:x-ogc:def:crs:EPSG:4326">
	<gml:pos>45.7 110.6</gml:pos>
</gml:Point>

The srsName attribute indicates the CRS in use.  This does NOT need to
be resolved in real time, but those wishing to consume or generate this
data may wish to look this up. This can be done using a registry such as
at http://www.epsg-registry.org and entering the URN string or the EPSG
code.  A giving alerting community (the whole world or the US or
whatever) can select the set of CRS definitions that they permit.

If you do not understand the srsName (there could be a default value
also) then you need to talk to a conversion service or request the data
in an srsName you do understand.

Cheers

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: Art Botterell [mailto:ABott@so.cccounty.us]
Sent: November 26, 2007 4:38 PM
To: emergency@lists.oasis-open.org; sandro@oss.com
Subject: Re: [emergency] RE: Sample email to interested
partiesWRTgeoenhancements to CAP

Let's keep our eye on the ball here.  Our goal isn't adoption of CAP for
its own sake and at any cost.  The purpose of CAP is to achieve
interoperability among warning systems globally.

 If we start to sacrifice interoperability in pursuit of nominal
adoptions that can't actually communicate with each other, I'm afraid
we'll be justly criticised for having lost sight of our real mission.

- Art