Subject: RE: [emergency] RE: Sample email to interestedpartiesWRTgeoenhancements to CAP

Art,

Let me reword a little what I wrote earlier.  Perhaps it was not clear
enough.

Interoperability is an extremely important objective of people using
standards in most domains (not only in the emergency management domain!).
But that does not imply that the best way of structuring a standard is as a
single standard document that tries to ensure full interoperability among
all implementations by completely avoiding options.  In many cases, a better
way of structuring a standard is by developing a base standard plus one or
more profiles (or by developing a base standard in one organization and by
encouraging other organizations to develop profiles according to their
specific requirements).  The base standard would ensure a basic level of
interoperability and the profile would increase interoperability by
restricting the available options to those that are strictly necessary in a
particular community or set of use cases.  This allows you to achieve a
broader set of goals (one of which is full interoperability).

Alessandro