Subject: Re: [emergency] RE: Sample email to interestedpartiesWRTgeoenhancements to CAP

Local optimization is almost always suboptimal globally.

China is entitled to choose their own local usages, but choices have onsequences.  I'm not sure it would be appropriate or wise to impose those consequences on everyone else.

- Art
-----Original Message-----
From: <creed@opengeospatial.org>
To: Lake, Ron <rlake@galdosinc.com>
Cc:  <emergency@lists.oasis-open.org>
Cc:  <sandro@oss.com>
Cc: Botterell, Art <ABott@so.cccounty.us>

Sent: 11/27/2007 7:36:56 AM

As I said in an earlier email, support of the new Chinese datum in
gospatial data formats, encodings, or software is a mandate in China. This
is a perfect example of what Ron is referring to as a local requirement.
The rationale for the Chinese requirement is that th new datum is much
more accurate than WGS 84 for the majority of China.

Carl