Subject: Re: [emergency] RE: Sample email to interested partiesWRTgeoenhancements to CAP

Thanks Art.

It is important to remember the core purpose of CAP, especially now
that the supporting cast of EDXL-DE, EDXL-HAVE, EDXL-RM and, in a
longer timeframe, EDXL-RIM, are moving into place for a more
comprehensive set of specifications. The widespread implementation of
CAP has suffered from the syndrome of developers attempting to use it
for purposes it was not designed to address simply because there were
no specifications available for those purposes.

Hopefully, by the time we get into high gear on CAP NG whether 1.2 or
2.0, this improvement will be more widely understood and we will have
the ability to focus more on CAP specifically. Hopefully this will
free us a bit from the weight of needing to be definitive about GIS
at large rather than more narrowly focused on its uses in the CAP
message. It is those new and evolving needs that were not considered
in the earlier versions of CAP that I am most concerned about
including without losing any existing capabilities.

I don't want to personally suggest more possible solutions at this
point because we are still at the stage of gathering requirements
from as many concerned communities as we can. Art mentioned handheld
devices and one-way broadcast, and that's a good example. It isn't
that I don't have suggestions, and I don't want to discourage anyone
from suggesting solutions. I'm just hoping to hear from more
constituencies.