Subject: Re: [emergency] RE: Sample email to interestedpartiesWRTgeoenhancements to CAP

No, Renato... We chose to define a simple and consistent standard that would be interoperable worldwide.  And having chosen that strategy we selected the single most widely used CRS for use in that standard.  In so doing we acted to maximize compatibility and competitiveness in a global marketplace without excluding anybody.

Of course, an influence there was the use of WGS-84 in GPS..  Have large numbers of Australians started throwing away their GPS units in protest of that "imposition"?

As for OASIS allegedly being US-centric, for consistency wouldn't we have to  point that same finger at the ITU?  If WGS-84 is acceptable for X.1303, is it possible we're making a mountain out of a molehill here?

- Art
-----Original Message-----
From: Renato Iannella <renato@nicta.com.au>
Cc:  <rlake@galdosinc.com>
Cc:  <emergency@lists.oasis-open.org>
Cc:  <creed@opengeospatial.org>
Cc:  <sandro@oss.com>
To: Botterell, Art <ABott@so.cccounty.us>

Sent: 11/27/2007 6:31:16 PM

On 28 Nov 2007, at 02:36, Art Botterell wrote:

> China is entitled to choose their own local usages, but choices have
> consequences.
> I'm not sure it would be appropriate or wise to impose those
> consequences on everyone else.

But "we" did the same. "We" choose to only support WGS84 in CAP 1.1
There is also a "consequence" from that decision and an "imposition"
to others.

Is that "appropriate" or "wise" ???

At the time, it might have been. But things move on and time passes.

CAP 2.0 (might as well jump on the Web 2.0 bandwagon ;-) should/must
be broader and meet more *global* needs. Profiles can be created at
the implementation level(s).

Otherwise OASIS will not move away from its US-centric views of
"global".

Cheers...  Renato Iannella
NICTA