Subject: RE: EDXL-RM Statement Of Use

I think fantastic points are being made and we have the foundation to move forward, but that we should convene a conference call to finalize discussion and determine appropriate steps and communication.  Part of the catalyst here was to publish a “plea” to the membership for companies to provide RM Statements of Use, in order to track progress as the standard nears the finish line.  We need to agree on how that request should be written.

Could everyone interested in participating in defining this approach and next step please reply with your preference for FRIDAY or MONDAY, please?

For convenience I have pasted the EDXL-RM conformance section below.  I am actually advocating that any implementation of the standard that adheres to this section would equal a valid Statement of Use.  Recall that the Level 1 and 2 Conformance options do address the overall Element Reference Model, and then the individual messages, but does not specify specific ones or some minimum set.  Though I agree with Rex's desire regarding a "complete lifecycle of a successful resource deployment", this is not applicable for Statement of Use purposes, and that "complete lifecycle" may not fully apply to the business processes of some companies and their applications.  That’s an important objective ASAP, but I feel that getting the draft standard through the process and published is paramount in the immediate term.

My 2-cents.  Let me know a day/time as we’ll set it up.

Thanks,

Tim

1.1 Conformance Targets

The two following conformance targets are defined in order to support the specification of conformance to this standard:

  • EDXL-RM Message; and

  • EDXL-RM Message Producer.

An EDXL-RM Message is an XML 1.0 element whose syntax and semantics are specified in this standard. An EDXL-RM Message Producer is a software entity that produces EDXL-RM Messages.

NOTE   There is no conformance target corresponding to the consumers of EDXL-RM messages. All the existing requirements for the consumption of an incoming EDXL-RM message are, in fact, requirements on the type and content of the EDXL-RM message that is produced by the consumer in reply to that message (if any). Therefore, a conforming EDXL-RM Message Producer (as defined in Section 5.4) will necessarily meet all the existing requirements for the production as well as for the consumption of EDXL-RM messages.

1.2 Conformance Levels

The two following conformance levels are defined for EDXL-RM Messages:

  • Level-1 EDXL-RM Message; and
  • Level-2 EDXL-RM Message.

NOTE   The conformance requirements for Level-1 and Level-2 EDXL-RM Messages are given in Section 5.3, and summarized here. A Level-1 EDXL-RM Message is either one of the 16 resource message elements specified in sections 3.4 to 3.19, or a different element (with a different namespace name and an arbitrary local name) whose type is the complex type “EDXLResourceMessageReferenceType” specified in Section 4.1.1. A Level-2 EDXL-RM Message is restricted to be one of the 16 resource message elements specified in sections 3.4 to 3.19. Every Level-2 EDXL-RM Message is also a conforming Level-1 EDXL-RM Message.

The two following conformance levels are defined for EDXL-RM Message Producers:

  • Level-1 EDXL-RM Message Producer; and
  • Level-2 EDXL-RM Message Producer.

NOTE   The conformance requirements for Level-1 and Level-2 EDXL-RM Message Producers are given in Section 5.4, and summarized here. A Level-1 EDXL-RM Message Producer is a software entity that produces conforming (Level-1) EDXL-RM Messages whenever a (Level-1) EDXL-RM Message is expected. A Level-2 EDXL-RM Message Producer is a software entity that only produces Level-2 EDXL-RM Messages whenever a Level-2 EDXL-RM Message is expected. Every Level-2 EDXL-RM Message Producer is also a conforming Level-1 EDXL-RM Message Producer.

1.3 Conformance as an EDXL-RM Message

1.3.1 Level-1 EDXL-RM Message

An XML 1.0 element is a conforming Level-1 EDXL-RM Message if and only if:

a)      it meets the general requirements specified in Section 3.3;

b)      if its namespace name is "urn:oasis:names:tc:emergency:EDXL:RM:1.0:msg", then its local name is one of the 16 resource message type names specified in sections 3.4 to 3.19 (also listed in Table 1), and the element is valid according to the schema located at
http://docs.oasis-open.org/emergency/EDXL-RM/EDXL-RM.xsd, where validation is performed against the global element declaration with the same local name;

c)      if its namespace name is not "urn:oasis:names:tc:emergency:EDXL:RM:1.0:msg", then the element is valid according to the schema located at
http://docs.oasis-open.org/emergency/EDXL-RM/EDXL-RM.xsd, where validation is performed against the complex type definition “EDXLResourceMessageReferenceType”;

d)     if its namespace name is "urn:oasis:names:tc:emergency:EDXL:RM:1.0:msg", then its content (which includes the content of each of its descendants) meets all the additional mandatory requirements provided in the specific subsection of Section 3 (sections 3.4 to 3.19) corresponding to the element’s name, with the exception of the Message Flow; such requirements include:

·         the content of the Element Reference Model;

·         each of the Message Rules; and

·         the normative parts (element name, usage, and constraints) of any dictionary data entries (in Section 4) corresponding to the elements that actually occur in the content of the element;

e)      if its namespace name is not "urn:oasis:names:tc:emergency:EDXL:RM:1.0:msg", then its content (which includes the content of each of its descendants) meets all the additional mandatory requirements provided in the normative parts (element name, usage, and constraints) of all the dictionary data entries (in Section 4) corresponding to the elements that actually occur in the content of the element.

NOTE The Information Exchange Package Documentation (IEPD) process, specified within the United States National Information Exchange Model (available on www.niem.gov), can be used by a Community of Interest when specifying new types of resource messages conforming to Level 1.

1.3.2 Level-2 EDXL-RM Message

An XML 1.0 element is a conforming Level-2 EDXL-RM Message if and only if:

a)      it meets all the requirements for a Level-1 EDXL-RM Message specified in Section 5.3.1; and

b)      its namespace name is "urn:oasis:names:tc:emergency:EDXL:RM:1.0:msg"; and

c)      its content meets all the requirements provided in the specific subsection of Section 3 (sections 3.4 to 3.19) corresponding to the element’s name (see also Section 5.3.1 item (d)), including the Message Flow.

NOTE   The conditions in (a) and (b) above imply that the local name of the element is one of the 16 resource message type names specified in sections 3.4 to 3.19 (see Section 5.3.1item (b)).

1.4 Conformance as an EDXL-RM Message Producer

1.4.1 Level-1 EDXL-RM Message Producer

A software entity is a conforming Level-1 EDXL-RM Message Producer if and only if it is constructed in such a way that any XML 1.0 element produced by it and present in a place in which a conforming Level-1 EDXL-RM message is expected (based on contextual information) is indeed a conforming Level-1 EDXL-RM message according to this standard.

NOTE   The condition above can be satisfied in many different ways. Here are some examples of possible scenarios:

         a standard distribution protocol (say, EDXL-DE) transfers EDXL-RM messages; a resource consumer has sent an EDXL-RM request message to a resource supplier which claims to be a conforming EDXL-RM Message Producer, and has received an EDXL-DE message which is therefore expected to carry a conforming EDXL-RM Message;

         a local test environment has been set up, and the application under test (which claims to be a conforming EDXL-RM Message Producer) has the ability to produce an EDXL-RM message and write it to a file in a directory in response to a request coming from the testing tool; the testing tool has sent many requests to the application under test and is now verifying all the files present in the directory, which is expected to contain only conforming EDXL-RM Messages.

1.4.2 Level-2 EDXL-RM Message Producer

A software entity is a conforming Level-2 EDXL-RM Message Producer if and only if:

a)      it meets all the requirements for a Level-1 EDXL-RM Producer Message specified in Section 5.4.1; and

b)   it produces a conforming Level-2 EDXL-RM Message when such a message is expected.

NOTE   There is no requirement for a Level-2 EDXL-RM Message Producer to be able to produce resource messages of all 16 resource message types specified in sections 3.4 to 3.19.