Subject: OASIS contracts with members

Friends -

Yesterday, in the course of work on the proposed IPAWS CAP Profile requested by a member organization, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, I became aware that the OASIS organization has accepted a separate contract to provide services to that particular OASIS member.

Curiously, when I requested information on that contract from our Membership Services Director he declined to provide it and instead suggested I file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with DHS.

It strikes me as unwise, but apparently there's nothing in the OASIS by-laws that precludes OASIS, a non-profit organization, from accepting funds on undisclosed terms from one of its members, even while that member has contributed work under review in the OASIS standards process.

However, I do think it fair that the other members should be made aware when that happens, particularly since we rely on OASIS staff from time to time for guidance on issues that may be of interest to particular members with whom OASIS has a special relationship.

- Art

Art Botterell, Manager
Community Warning System
Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff
50 Glacier Drive
Martinez, California 94553
(925) 313-9603
fax (925) 646-1120