Subject: Re CAP-IPAWS Profile Specification Issues

At today's meeting, the EMTC discussed whether to accept a drafting
recommendation that the DHS IPAWS requirements be included as an
appendix to the CAP profile itself as a Committee Draft.

Art opposes that material being included, for reasons stated in
earlier e-mails.  Which is fine.  But there've also been
insinuations of inappropiate behavior by those who disagree.  That's
not fine, and we have to respectfully disagree with Art's assertion
of an improper conflict here.

The TC can chose to include the material, or not, as it sees fit.
Sometimes TCs include contributed non-normative material;  sometimes
they don't.  This is not a policy matter.

But it also was suggested that TC members who are DHS staff or DHS
contractors are acting improperly, if they favor including the DHS
material.  That's silly.  Standards committee members are all
experts, with biases, which they bring into a TC ... to hammer out
compromises .. which is what we do in standards work.  As long as
the deliberations are carried out properly and transparently under
our rules, no-one should be attacked for having an opinion.

It also was suggested that OASIS or its staff has some intent to
control the TC.  That's silly, too.  The TC is free to make its own
choices.  Art expressed concern about the contract OASIS made with
DHS to provide some assistance and information to DHS about the
spec.  OASIS could not have agreed to a contract that asked us to
influence or assure the technical decisions made by the TC.  And we
didn't.  Because we don't have that power.

The contract was not posted to the TC because, for whatever reason,
the contractor set some rules around how it's disclosed.  Which Art
and everyone is welcome to pursue.

We respectfully suggest that the TC members focus on the technical
merits of excluding or including the appendix, rather than impugning
motives, and then resolve the issue by voting.

Regards JBC

~ James Bryce Clark
~ Director of Standards Development, OASIS
~ http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#clark