Subject: Re: [emergency] Excerpts from Meeting Notes of EM-Msg SC3-3-09

An additional concern has come to my attention in the last week, one which I believe could easily be addressed in CAP 1.2.  (It also bears on the IPAWS Profile and I'll be commenting on that in the appropriate venue.)

I'm told that the current CAP 1.1 schema does not permit the use of enveloped digital signatures as mandated in section 3.3.2.1 of the CAP 1.1 spec.  I don't believe there is any policy disagreement there; it appears to have been merely an oversight.

And I believe there are folks on the TC better qualified than I to suggest precisely what would need to be added to the schema to implement enable Section 3.3.2.1.

- Art

Art Botterell, Manager
Community Warning System
Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff
50 Glacier Drive
Martinez, California 94553
(925) 313-9603
fax (925) 646-1120

>>> Rex Brooks <rexb@starbourne.com> 3/17/2009 7:05 AM >>>
Hi Everyone,

As part of the report from the EM-Msg SC for today's EM TC Meeting, I
am excerpting the motions from the Em-Msg Meeting 3-3-09 for the sake
of clarity, rather than paraphrasing it for the TC. Note: the issues
are summarized from the CAP 1.2 Section of
CAP-NextGen-CommentsList_v1.4
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/emergency-msg/download.php/31699/CAP-NextGen-CommentsList_v1.4.xls

MOTION #1: Jacob Westfall moved that the subcommittee recommend to
the Emergency Management Technical Committee (EM TC) that the EM TC
approve proceeding with a CAP 1.2 restricted to the existing changes
summarized as follows:

3 - Caution/restriction against restricted, escaped, and special
characters and encoded entities in content field

15,17-6,20,22 - New responseType values of Avoid and AllClear

16,19 - Editorial changes

27 - Clarification on acceptable values in polygon and circle elements

28 - Expand CAP examples to include update and bilingual messages

Also based on IPAWS profile work, the following changes could also be added,

- All dateTime elements should include a timezone (Art's guidelines
from the IPAWS profile could be used)

- A review of the schema found <element name="effective"
type="dateTime" form="qualified" minOccurs="0"/> where
form="qualified" is not used for any other elements and is probably
an error??

Finally, an additional non-normative paragraph could be added
describing EDXL-DE and its intended transport role to heighten
awareness, since it was not in existence when CAP was first released.

SECONDED BY: Tim Grapes.
MOTION APPROVED

MOTION #2: Jacob Westfall moved that the that the subcommittee
recommend to the Emergency Management Technical Committee (EM TC)
that the EM TC approve proceeding to develop requirements for CAP 2.0
as soon as the CAP 1.2 is out for public review.

SECONDED BY: Tim Grapes
MOTION APPROVED

Note:  This meeting and its recommendations occured prior to
discussions in an external forum examined practices wrt Digital
Signatures.

Cheers.