Subject: RE: [emergency] EDXL HAVE and NIEM 2.1 dictionary alignment?

David,

OK, what I think you are saying is that the wantlist is an artifact of creating the subset schema according to the IEPD process and only includes already defined NIEM codes, element, and types. ( I will send separate correspondence to confirm. You may be right. I may be wrong. If I am wrong, NIEM may want to change the term “wantlist” to “reuselist” as it make no semantic sense whatsoever in its current name.)  I think you are also saying that you can use CAM to read the exchange schema and extract the NIEM defined components to build the wantlist, which can then be used to generate the subset schema.

This does not change my level of concern.  External standards need to stand on their own. This is why NIEM put the adapter concept in place. That is why the Naming and Design Rules expressly include the use of an adapter for the purpose of encapsulation.  Mixing in elements from NIEM should be done only as an imported reference schema in our own namespace that is built from a subset schema in the NIEM space.  Otherwise you break encapsulation which will cause maintenance side effects that will gradually grind usability to a halt on both sides.

So what I am saying is this: If there is a mix of elements in HAVE that are made from both NIEM and non-NIEM content, we are in trouble, because we did not segment our schemas appropriately in the first place.   We will need to build two separate support schema in our namespace to support the two (or at least pull all of the NIEM compliant subset out of the main schema and reference it from HAVE).

Luckily I do not think that any of the elements in HAVE are consciously NIEM compliant (i.e., the ones that are compliant are so by accident/casual reuse instead of NIEM structured design and therefore require thorough review (for example a CIQ PersonName and a NIEM PersonName represent the same concept but are NOT semantically equivalent).  What I am saying is that it is a bad idea to try and mine the current HAVE spec for individual NIEM elements and types, just because you can. Let the HAVE exchange document stand on its own with an adaptor.  It is the right way.  We can eventually build our RIM to include NIEM subsets (or be NIEM subsets). Our exchanges can reference the RIM, but they need to stand on their own.

So, to be honest, I am not arguing that using CAM to do what you are doing is bad; I am arguing that doing what you are doing is a mistake in and of itself (with or without CAM) for any currently documented external standard exchange. Your methods may, however, be appropriate for other IEPD activities, particularly the definition of new exchange schemas, as long as the new exchange schema is backed with appropriate subset schemas designed to make needed encapsulation possible.

Respectfully,

Gary A. Ham

http://grandpaham.com

703-899-6241