Subject: Re: [emergency] RE: DE versus ATOM

To add to the mix.

Actually, Atom/Atom Pub can be used in very interesting applications.

Check out the OGC® Loosely Coupled Synchronization of Geographic Databases
in the Canadian Geospatial Data Infrastructure Pilot
(http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=26609)

From the preface:

This <OGC> Discussion Paper documents results from the Interoperability
Program CGDI Pilot and describes a suite of services that enable the
sharing of geographic information across organizations for the purposes
of: geographic database synchronization in support of a spatial data
infrastructure; geographic database modification suggestions from trusted
and un-trusted sources; and the transmission of geographic information in
emergency notification events.

These services are called the Update Feed Service; Feedback Feed Service;
and Emergency Alert Service respectively. Their information encodings are
all based on the Atom Syndication Format, extended with GML and WFS Filter
encodings to support geospatial requirements, and were implemented in the
Canadian Geospatial Data Infrastructure Pilot.

Regards

Carl