Subject: RE: [Fwd: [emergency] Questions on ASN.1 and IPAWS Profile / CAP 1.2]

Has the backward-compatibility issue been reported in some TC document or
email?

Without having it at hand right now, I'll make the following observation.

The X.694 standard, which was used to create the ASN.1 schemas in CAP 1.1
and CAP 1.2, specifies a rigorous mapping from XML Schema to ASN.1.  The
mapping rules are so rigorous that they ensure that one can seamlessly
translate between an XML encoding and a PER encoding just by applying the
standard encoding rules (PER and EXER) to the ASN.1 schema.  This makes it
easy to build an application that can handle both encodings, so long as the
application uses conforming ASN.1 encoder/decoders.

The downside of following strict mapping rules from XML Schema to ASN.1 is
that when the original XML schema is modified, the new ASN.1 schema may not
be backward-compatible with the old ASN.1 schema.  This can happen even in
case of seemingly minor changes such as a new item being added to an
enumeration, or a required attribute or child element becoming optional, or
vice versa.  In the case of CAP 1.2 vs. 1.1, the changes made to the XML
schema cause the PER encodings to change significantly.

But again, the upside of using X.694 is that applications will be able to
easily translate back and forth between ASN.1/PER and XML.

We cannot just have both benefits, and the X.694 standard determines which
one we can have.

Alessandro