Subject: RE: [emergency] Re: CAP 1.2, Encryption, and DM-OPEN

Dave,

I understand the issues you raise.  I've long heard these same concerns and needs discussed on the ebXML messaging work.

The ebMS v3.0 has new features that are specifically designed to support sophisticated message handling and routing and trust issues.

Perhaps this is something we could direct to that committee for insights given the use cases you mention.

Also - I believe we do need to decouple transport from packaging and content WRT specification standards.

Obviously CAP does not need to reinvent the wheel here.

Perhaps one way forward here is to have suggested transport and delivery profiles.  I know other standards groups work has used that very successfully.

Therefore you could have profiles for using WS* stack, and then ebXML - and then implementers could select what profile meets their needs.

BTW - the new ebMS v3 also has significantly improved ability to deliver via WS* channels (obviously where these are solely end points only and not routing channels).

Lastly - I want to say I appreciate you raising this all - because I attended a present by FEMA the other week - and was concerned that these aspects were not being covered - and especially malicious or runaway scenarios - such as those that crippled the power grid in times past.

We know these things can occur - and therefore we should take necessary precautions to safe guard infrastructure accordingly.

Thanks, DW

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Lee Tincher" <ltincher@evotecinc.com>
Date: Thu, February 11, 2010 1:13 pm
To: "'David E. Ellis'" <dellis@sandia.gov>,
<emergency@lists.oasis-open.org>
Cc: "'Oien, Chuck'" <ctoien@sandia.gov>, "'Sanzero, George'"
<gsanzer@sandia.gov>

Dave,

It seems that this is the age-old discussion on where security should live during message transport.  One of our guys (Lew Leinenweber) suggests the following guidelines:

The open standards communities that created Web services developed a number of security standards for web services. Figure 8 illustrates a notional reference model for web services security standards. This reference model maps the various standards to the functional layers of a typical web service implementation. These layers are modeled after the OSI Reference Model but are not intended to be interpreted as strictly hierarchical.

Figure 8 - Web Services Security Standards - Notional Reference Model

Standards at the network, transport and XML security layers are used to secure messages as they are transmitted over the network. The security standards IPsec, SSL/TLS (Secure Sockets Layer/Transport Layer Security), XML Encryption and XML Signature each operate on SOAP messages at a different level.

Above the XML Security layer standards fall into two primary categories: standards that are built on top of SOAP and standalone standards. Message security standards WS-Security and WS‑SecureConversation define how to use XML Signature, XML Encryption and credentials to secure SOAP at the message layer while reliable messaging standards define the protocols and constructs necessary to ensure that messages will be received. The access control standards are not unique to web services; XACML can define the access policy for any system and SAML can be used to define assertions in any environment. At the policy layer, WS-Policy defines a grammar to communicate policy requirements of a web service.

Security management specifications define other Web services to manage credentials such as PKI certificates within the SOA. Identity management standards take advantage of access control standards, policy standards and SOAP standards to offer services for distributing and managing user identities and credentials within the SOA.

Digital Signature

The Digital Signature provides message integrity among a service’s exchange partners.  Digital signature provides a mechanism for the authentication of messages, allowing a consumer to make certain that a message has not been tampered with during transit.

A digital signature should be applied to the service header and the message body. As the message travels, service requests and responses are signed at each ESB.  A digital signature establishes a chain of trust between components and enables non-repudiation and authentication of messages. Digital signatures should be based upon open source and accepted federal standards. Digital signature should be based upon the Web Services Interoperability Organization (WS-I) Basic Security Profile, which provides an interoperable framework for major security standards to effectively work together.

The following standards should be used to implement digital signatures:

        XML Digital Signature (XMLDSig) provide syntax and processing standards.

        Web Services Security (WS-Security) is an XML extension to SOAP which provides a flexible means to employ security measures in messages.

WS-Security with XMLDSig is used to secure basic end-to-end authentication and message integrity while remaining transport independent.  By implementing XML digital signatures through WS-Security standards, the message header framework maintains interoperability between components with an added level of audit-ability and security.  Used in conjunction with other security measures, such as Secure Socket Layer (SSL), messages can be secured and authenticated.

Relationship of Web Service Security Requirements to Standards

Table 2-1 shows which security requirements are satisfied by various specifications and standards.

In this table, each security dimension encompasses one or more security requirements. Each requirement may have one or more standards that support it. For example, SSL/TLS and WS-Security provide confidentiality, integrity and authentication support for the messaging dimension. A notable exception is the accountability requirement in the resource protection dimension which does not have any supporting standards.

Dimension
Requirement
Specifications
Messaging
Confidentiality and Integrity
WS-Security
SSL/TLS
Authentication
WS-Security Tokens
SSL/TLS X.509 Certificates
Resource
Authorization

XACML
XrML
RBAC, ABAC
Privacy

EPAL
XACML
Accountability
None
Negotiation
Registries
UDDI
ebXML
Semantic Discovery
SWSA
OWL-S
Business Contracts
ebXML
Trust
Establishment
WS-Trust
XKMS
X.509
Trust Proxying
SAML
WS-Trust
Federation
WS-Federation
Liberty IDFF
Shibboleth
Security Properties
Policy
WS-Policy
Security Policy
WS-SecurityPolicy
Availability
WS-ReliableMessaging
WS-Reliability

Thanks,
Lee

Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.  - Cyril Connolly