Subject: CAP v1.2 implementation Difficulties

Folks,

Based on Neil's difficulties with Web service compilers, Gary Timm's message, and on Rex Brook's response asking for a solution that does not break the ability to make the change a 1.2 version vice forcing 2.0 , I decided maybe we should in fact look at a solution that does work as a 1.2 change.  We have tested this with out a problem and know that it works.   The basic concept is to encapsulate the <any> tags within optional identified tags to isolate them from multi-namespace issues.  (For backward compatibility we could also leave the current 1.1 <any> tag in place, but we would not make any use of it.)

I know it is late in the game.  But the following change would make signing work in web services and middleware validation points far more effectively than the current structure of CAP 1.2.  That and a requirement that message signature use XML canonical form (as required in the DE) and we could guarantee success across the network. Neil has tested this change and it does work.

Respectfully,

Gary

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bourgeois, Neil
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:13 PM
To: Gary Ham
Subject: CAPv1.2 Web-Service Implementation Challenges

Gary,
We are experiencing Web-service implementation issues with the CAPv1.2 schema. DM-OPEN is currently using Oracle 10g application server and Oracle 10g assembler to generate Web-Services.  DM-OPEN is also leveraging JAXB2 and its capabilities in binding XML to Java classes.

Here are the following issues:
1) With the two <any.../> tags the Oracle Assembler generates a single Alert object as a SOAP Element. This will require a significant amount of rework to upgrade the current CAPv1.1 Web-Service to CAPv1.2.
2) JAXB will not compile. Get response that "Any element has already been defined".

Recommendation to resolve these issue is to place <any.../> elements within their own element. This is also a more mature schema structure.

Have similar Web-Service implementation issues been experienced by other developers?

Neil Bourgeois
Cell: 703-732-6331

Original Schema:
        </element>
                <any minOccurs = "0" maxOccurs = "unbounded" namespace = "http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#" processContents = "lax"/>
                <any minOccurs = "0" namespace = "http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmlenc#" processContents = "lax"/>
      </sequence>
    </complexType>
  </element>
  <element name = "valueName" type = "xs:string"/>
  <element name = "value" type = "xs:string"/>
</schema>

Recommended Change:
        </element>
        <element ref="cap:Signature"/>
        <element ref="cap:Encoding"/>
      </sequence>
    </complexType>
  </element>
  <element name="Signature">
  <complexType>
    <sequence>
      <any minOccurs = "0" maxOccurs = "unbounded" namespace = "http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#" processContents = "lax"/>
    </sequence>
  </complexType>
  </element>
  <element name="Encoding">
  <complexType>
    <sequence>
      <any minOccurs = "0" namespace = "http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmlenc#" processContents = "lax"/>
    </sequence>
  </complexType>
  </element>
  <element name = "valueName" type = "xs:string"/>
  <element name = "value" type = "xs:string"/>
</schema>

Gary Ham
Systems Architect
FEMA Disaster Management Program