Subject: RE: [emergency] SBE Viewpoint

Hi David:

I don’t disagree with what you are saying, but I think it is an issue for message envelope and envelope handling (my main point) and not message content.  XML signatures I think would go a long way in practical terms of providing identification of the source, non-tampering with the contents, and non-repudiation.

From: David RR Webber (XML) [mailto:david@drrw.info]
Sent: February 15, 2010 2:17 PM
To: Ron Lake
Cc: Gary Timm; emergency@lists.oasis-open.org; Oien,Chuck; Sanzero,George; Ammerlahn,Heidi; Lee Tincher; rexb@starbourne.com; David E. Ellis

Ron,

I wish that your example with digital signature was so!  All this does is increase confidence that the probability might be.  Nothing digital can be absolute.

Dave gives some great scenario insights between single key nuclear authorization systems and by comparison a distributed emergency alerting system.

How do the people driven systems work today?  I think we can learn a lot from studying how say an evacuation order from Wash DC gets actioned.

What I'm seeing is that you have a system where multiple channels contribute to your confidence that the information you are receiving is authentic.  People will "pick up the phone" and talk first hand particularly.  Now compare that to say a campus building alert system.  Perhaps you would allow that to be automatically triggered without more verification.  Or a home system that summons an ambulance or law enforcement response.

So - what I'm seeing is that you need a supporting system of level of authority and increasing confidence compared to the seriousness of the action requested.

This should be something you can publish as implementation non-normative notes that support the specification.

In this regard again - notice that today on the ebCORE TC - Pim published a standalone CPA ID specification garnered from the original eXML CPPA - so that you can create these kinds of trust relationships - beyond the mechanics of digital signatures and encryption alone.  Nice thing is this is then standalone - not dependent on transport delivery system specifically - but supports the role and context needed - that is otherwise missing from the simple message exchange data.

Thanks, DW