Subject: RE: [emergency] HAVE Conformance vs. Documentation vs. ReleasedSchemas

It’s not that you MUST use every element/attribute, but the fact that you CAN.  Too much flexibility leads to more lines of code to process parts of a message that MAY be there, but probably never will.  We are only using xPIL for a standard representation of the parts that we need.  I don’t think we need the entire xPIL spec, and I think it makes HAVE bloated by including a bunch of optional stuff that is unnecessary.  You can restrict the schema by modifying it without breaking it, you just use what you need and remove the rest.  Since everything in xPIL is optional this isn’t a problem.

On the point of #5…you don’t NEED every aspect of xPIL to get HAVE…and it’s not about validating…my example validates too.  The point of the example is to show what happens when someone fills in all the possible fields in a message.  If you are building the system that processes one of these messages (not just putting it up on a webpage) you need to write code to handle all those fields.  I think that’s bloated and unnecessary for what HAVE is trying to do.

-Don

Office: 315-838-2669

Cell: 315-383-1197

dmcgarry@mitre.org

From: Lee Tincher [mailto:ltincher@evotecinc.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:45 PM
To: McGarry, Donald P.; 'Dwarkanath, Sukumar - INTL'; emergency@lists.oasis-open.org

I guess I don’t understand why including a full schema (which you would have to in order to achieve validity) means you have to use every element/attribute….

It seems that the flexibility intended by the optional elements and definitions of xPIL would be ignored if we did not include the schema….and I would think you can’t modify the Schema without breaking the standard unless you just included all of the mandatory elements and relationships and ignore the optional ones.

The #5 below is the hardest for me to absorb – why would you need every aspect of xPIL to get to HAVE?  I have done thousands of HAVE exchanges without that problem… and they all validate…

Thanks,

Lee

The aim of education should be to teach us rather how to think, than what to think - rather to improve our minds, so as to enable us to think for ourselves, than to load the memory with thoughts of other men.  ~Bill Beattie