Subject: RE: [emergency-adopt] Open Source EDXL Libraries

Gavin-

Please feel free to port away!  If you need any support along the way in terms of code structure, “why did you do that”, etc., always feel free to contact me.  We can also VTC over Skype if need be.

As far as your second question, we actually already have a full suite of unit tests that run on the visual studio test engine as well as the MS Research Pex automated testing tool.  If you think those would be helpful, I will clean up the code so it is better documented and release that into a separate trunk on the source tree.  With that test suite we are running about 90-95% code coverage as of now and will be working to bring that number up closer to 100% in the coming months.  If there is something that would help get the process going in the meantime, don’t hesitate to ask.

Thanks!

-Don

Office: 315-838-2669

Cell: 703-595-9375

dmcgarry@mitre.org

From: Gavin Treadgold [mailto:gt@kestrel.co.nz]
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:03 PM
To: McGarry, Donald P.
Cc: emergency@lists.oasis-open.org; emergency-adopt@lists.oasis-open.org; Ponikvar, Donald <CTR> (Donald.Ponikvar@associates.dhs.gov); mwalton3@gmail.com; ic-net-leadership-list Leadership List for the IC.NET MSR; Tom Fahy (tfahy@capitolgr.com); Zywicki, Dean J.; christopher.shoup@dhs.gov; Mark Lucero (mark.lucero@dhs.gov); wade.witmer@dhs.gov; French, Mike; Gerschefske, Kelly; Denis Gusty; Yo Gikas (xenophon.gikas@lacity.org); Alex M. Menkes (amenkes@omi.com); Hoang, Anthony (Anthony.Hoang@dhs.gov)

Congratulations Don!

I am very interested in seeing these libraries ported to PHP and Python for use in web applications. I know it is under an open source license (Apache 2.0), but I would like to ask for an OK for the Sahana Software Foundation to possibly look at porting these libraries to PHP and Python so that web applications written in these languages (such as Sahana Agasti (PHP), Sahana Eden (Python) and Ushahidi (PHP)) can use shared libraries based on the work already undertaken by MITRE.

A second question, has there been consideration of the development of a set of unit tests that can be applied to the libraries to ensure that they are operating correctly? If there is a suite of unit tests, we would be interested in using them during development to test the operation of the libraries, and check for bugs/errors, and it would be good to have the same set of unit tests applied to all libraries regardless of language.

Kind regards,

Gavin

--

Gavin Treadgold – Director

gt@kestrel.co.nz – M +64 21 679335

Christchurch Office – New Zealand – P +64 3 3436169

Kestrel Group – Risk, Continuity and Emergency Management – www.kestrel.co.nz