Subject: Response to ISO/TC 223/WG 3

Friends,

You may recall that our EM-TC has been asked to respond to a proposed
work that ISO is considering as a new work item in the emergency
management space.  A group of our members has reviewed what
was  posted and agree with the drafted response shown below.

I have obtained permission to post the original document on our
publicly available list for your review (previously it was only
addressed to the group doing the initial review.)  You may read the
material that can be found on our site in the contributions folder
posted today.

The proposed response is shown below.  Since this will go forward as
a position for our EM-TC, it will need to go through a 7-day
electronic ballot.  Be prepared to discuss this topic on our EM-TC
call Friday, October 15 11-12 ET.  Feel free to reply to this message
with any suggestions or questions about the topic or the proposed response.

Thank you,

Elysa Jones, Chair
OASIS EM-TC
CTO, Warning Systems, Inc.
256-880-8702 x102

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear Colleagues,

The OASIS (Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information
Standards) Emergency Management Technical Committee (EM-TC) members
represent interests that include product and service providers in the
emergency domain, US DHS Science &Technology Office of
Interoperability and Compatibility (OIC), DHS/FEMA, National
Information Exchange Model, NOAA National Weather Service, US DoD as
well as Environment Canada, Canadian Association for Public Alert and
Notification and various associations, consortiums, local emergency
management offices.

We have subcommittees where much of our work is done to include the
Infrastructure Framework, Message/Notification, Common Alerting
Protocol (CAP), Hospital Availability Exchange (HAVE), CAP Profiles,
GIS, and Reference Information Model (RIM) currently doing work.

Our technical committee was made aware of the TSO work several months
ago.  Just recently has the proposed situation awareness work item
been brought to our attention.  I appreciate Mr. Larson's request for
our input.  We have reviewed what is being proposed as new work in
ISO in the emergency management space.  Our findings are listed below:

1.  The Tactical Situation Object (TSO) and the EDXL-DE (Emergency
Data Exchange Language Distribution Element) will be required
Standards for the proposed work.  We are delighted that the EDXL-DE
is being considered for this or other relevant work.  However, we
would like to make the community aware that since the 1.0 version of
the DE Standard was ratified, much has been learned by field
experience.  Our infrastructure framework subcommittee is working on
a draft of the 2.0 version to be out later this year for 60-day
review.  We recommend that if this work is approved, the group
anticipate and plan for the newest version of the DE.

2.  The EM-TC has ratified Standards for EDXL-RM (resource messaging)
which uses resource typing based on the US National Incident
Management System (NIMS).  We would like to see the resource typing
elements aligned with the TSO code list.

3.  There appears to be quite a bit of duplication in the proposed
work with the EDXL-RM as well as the EDXL-Situation Reporting
(Sit-Rep).  The Sit-Rep work began over a year ago in our Committee
after requirements definition for many months prior to that.  It is
scheduled for release in Committee Draft form before the end of this
year for 60-day public review.

We would recommend that the EM-TC Standards (RM, HAVE) and the new
work Sit-Rep be reviewed for duplication of effort.

It is our hope that the populations of the world can be better
prepared and able to respond to disasters with the help of data
standards to facilitate software and system interoperability.

Regards,

Elysa Jones, Chair
OASIS EM-TC
CTO, Warning Systems, Inc.