Subject: RE: [emergency] CAP-AP Question 1 - Clarification of CAP <info> block issue

Hi Greg

Here is my response based on my input into the CAP-Canadian Profile. Other parties involved with the CAP-CP may wish to add.

a) multiple <eventCode> elements within a single <info> block

This one has to do with interoperability between systems. As an issuing implementer, I would like my CAP message to be understood by multiple systems, not just my own. I would like to be able to create one CAP message and send it to all systems without having to run an operation where I have to create several CAP messages depending on who the client is. For example, I would identify in the <valueName> for one <eventCode> that I am using the Canadian Event reference list and the code XYZ whereas I would identify in the <valueName> for another <eventCode> that I am using the US SAME code and the code ABC. It would be incumbent upon the recipients of my CAP message to look for the <eventCode> that applies to them based on the valueName. In some cases it may be both, as a vendor that sells equipment to both Canadian and US interests may have an interest in both.

The above is the main reason but the usefulness doesn't stop there.
- If there were a global event list, I would have one eventCode for Canada and one for the global list.
- If there ever are two Canadian lists, I would use both
- If versioning is addressed within valueName with a URN type of solution then you can version up and maintain existing versions simultaneously without having to synchronize everyone moving up at the same time. This would involve using two or more eventCode elements. Versioning is an question that has come up at times.
- If, as in the case of MeteoAlarm, they want to use it as a display code then they can (not my preference though) but I suggest that they also use an event code that is interoperable with others (similar to the second bullet above).

b) multiple <info> blocks that only allow one <eventCode> per block.

We don't do have this restriction for the same reason as given in a). Maybe based on the above your question will change.

NOTE: The Canadian Profile concerns itself with different events addressed in different info blocks within the same CAP message file that are both subject to the references element and the "supersedes" condition during updates. Basically, if an update to one event occurs, and the references element notes the previous alert message then the second event is being updated whether it really is or not. Either, its not, and we are misrepresenting that it is (by including it with new updated times), or it was addressed and updated properly but then the issuer may have jeopardized some time spent in making sure the second event was up to date when the first event initiated the update in the first place with some time critical information.

Your questions will make me re-think the wording in our rule set as it may not be interpreted correctly.

Norm Paulsen
Service Strategies and Standards Section | Section des stratégies et des normes de service.
National Services Operation Division | Division des services opérationnels nationaux
Weather & Environmental Prediction and Services Directorate | Direction des prévisions & services météorologiques et environnementaux
Meteorological Service of Canada | Service météorologique du Canada
Environment Canada | Environnement Canada
4905 Dufferin St. Toronto, Ontario M3H5T4
Tel:  416 739-4190
Fax:  416 739-4967