Subject: Re: [emergency] Question regarding use of WGS84 reference system in CAP standard [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Darrell -

Nicely stated. Foundation for an ongoing excellent, consensus building discussion.

Carl

Sent: Monday, November 21, 2011 12:14 PM

Gary – noted on the signed message issue – it would have to happen at the originator level. I am betting Carl was considering the issuer and server to be one and the same, which I would agree with for the purposes of this discussion. Certainly the issuer and server don't need to be the same, but Carl's point is that it is quite easy to share out both WGS84 and coordinates in another CRS.

Your email raises a very good discussion point though – the burden is on the issuer.

Carl's point applies to the system that is issuing the alert, especially where digital signing is involved. To me it makes sense since most systems that use non-WGS84 coordinate systems nowadays can handle WGS84 as it has become a leveller. So, adding "hey this is my local CRS" parameter value still makes sense here.

It's a good approach – I am betting if a system can handle an arbitrary CRS, it can handle WGS84 as well. The converse is not true from what I have seen in the wild.

At the CAP v1.2 level I can see adding a GML-compliant valueName/value that allows extension to the play.

Here's a question though - on the future side (CAP v2+) when we allow for CRS data to be shared (that's good) will we require everyone to also share out a WGS84 common coordinate as well? To me, any part of CAP that isn't common becomes very dangerous. I can picture an alert that uses a new local state-plane coordinate system being totally useless to a receiving system that only understands WGS84.

Cheers,

Darrell