Subject: FW: [emergency-adopt-docs] Reminder: Meeting Tomorrow - Agenda

Friends,

I’m forwarding Rex’s reminder about the Collateral and Documents SC meeting tomorrow to the emergency list.  Many of you that have been interested in how the CAP logo is to be portrayed both in guidance and links might be interested in attending.

Cheers,

Elysa

From: emergency-adopt-docs@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:emergency-adopt-docs@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Rex Brooks
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2011 5:36 PM
To: emergency-adopt-docs@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Folks,

I wanted to remind you that we have a meeting tomorrow to discuss some important topics: I'm having problems with the computer I use for mail, so instead of uploading it to Kavi or attaching it to this email, I will just copy and paste the agenda below:

Draft Agenda for the EMA C&D SC Telecon Meeting

Date: Nov 29, 2011 –

Quorum --- .

1.      Attendance:

2.      Note taker appointment

will take notes.

3.      Review of meeting notes

4.      Current Business

Discuss Guidelines for use of CAP Logos/Symbols

Here's some thoughts I sent to Martena when she asked, and which I think ought to be included in what we say, though we need to say it in formal language so that there is no mistaking an informal approach for a no-holds-barred acceptance of ANY use:

We decided to go informal, so there is no need to include a copyright notice and they can be used freely though we certainly expect them to only be used for purposes aligned with the uses of the alerting standard; e.g. webpages for bullets indicating links to a CAP alert, and for letterhead/business cards of groups officially supported by the OASIS EM and EMA TCs and the Emergency Interoperability Member Section.

As long as we don't have vandals disrupting or co-opting the use of our Logo/Symbol, there is no need to encumber ourselves with a tedious and relatively expensive official OASIS process to establish copyright. As long as we have our authenticated and provable development of the artwork, which we do in the Kavi system with dates that are unequivocal, we don't stand in any danger of having our Logos/Symbols claimed and used by others. And if anyone cares to cover themselves with shame in hopes of forcing us to pay them for the use of our own Logos/Symbols, that would likely get us even more positive publicity and probably act to reinforce our ownership of these symbols and logos and the uses for which they stand and we would win any dispute taken to court. I have experience with the Library of Congress Copyright Office and service, and it can be quite slow, so I would expect that the time necessary to act through OASIS to secure the copyright would probably be six months at a minimum.

However, that said, it might not be a bad idea for us to publish such as set of guidelines, but in reality, unless I were to specifically create the artwork for each and every use, the general guideline advice is to use the artwork that is closest to the size of reproduction or display. If needed, I can make versions rather quickly if they need to be sized exactly to the size that a printer or website requires.

Discuss how to make publicly available:

·         jpeg - members only: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/emergency-adopt-docs/download.php/44316/CAP-Logos-Symbols.jpg

·         jpeg - publicly accessible: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/emergency-adopt-docs/download.php/44316/CAP-Logos-Symbols.jpg

·         pdf - publicly accessible: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/emergency-adopt-docs/download.php/44317/CAP-Logos-Symbols.pdf