Subject: FW: EDXL-TEP: questions for a literature review and contact

Elysa,

I have received a request from João Moreira, the graduate student from the Netherlands that posed questions on TEP and the transform earlier this year. He is now asking us to join a consortium to collaborate in a proposal on “PPI for uptake of standards for the exchange of digitalised healthcare records” that is forthcoming (see thread below).

Can you add this to the agenda for tomorrows TC call tomorrow?

Patti

Patti Iles Aymond, PhD
Senior Scientist, Research & Development
IEM

8710 Jefferson Highway
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
(225) 526-8844 (voice and fax)

From: João Moreira (UTwente) [mailto:j.luizrebelomoreira@utwente.nl]
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 5:35 AM
To: Aymond, Patti

Dear Patti,

At first, sorry for the late contact, I was waiting for the publication of the proceedings book to send to you the published version, but it is not published yet. The conference organizers said that it is about to be published and will contact me. Anyway, I'm attaching the final version submitted here.

I still working on an ontological analysis of EDXL standards for epidemiological surveillance. Recently I visited the Laboratory for Applied Ontology (http://www.loa.istc.cnr.it/) and I talked to Nicola Guarino - the "father" of formal ontology, working in this field since the 80s - about a collaboration with them to support this ontological analysis. The expected outcome is a deep analysis of the standards based on the most foundational aspects, such as the identity principles used, the rigidity types (rigid, non-rigid and semi-rigid) of the concepts, the relations' dependency types (generic, specific and existential), types of relations (formal and material), besides the most recent work on events and causality relations - BTW, this part may be the main theoretical contribution of my PhD, I'm studying how to use the Brandford Hill criteria for causation between situations and events, often used in epidemiology.

Besides keeping the contact with you and giving this update, I'd like to know if you are aware about this H2020 call related to eHealth interoperability standards: "SC1-PM-19-2017: PPI for uptake of standards for the exchange of digitalised healthcare records". I'm trying to find consortiums (which are planning to submit a proposal) to include my work, especially the part of EDXL for epidemiological surveillance. However, if I don't find any, I'd like to try to establish a consortium and to write a proposal (actually, my supervisors write and I support them). In both cases, I'd like to have you (OASIS) as a participant, what do you think? We have to discuss the specific role, but at first glance I think the work you're doing on the transformations EDXL <-> HL7 fits perfectly to this call. For now, the other partners would be:

- LOA: ontological analysis of the involved standards

- DTLs (http://www.dtls.nl/fair-data/): FAIR data

- Menthor (http://www.menthor.net/): tooling support for ontological analysis and automatic generation of EDXL messages (MDE transformations)

- Maastricht University: use of social networks (e.g. Twitter) for monitoring disease outbreaks (having the information avaiable as a service conformant with EDXL)

DTL will also help on contacting with the "user" partners (from healthcare field), such as WHO, RIVM and ECDC, I know that their participation is essential for this type of consortium. Feel free to give any comments, suggestions or critics.

Kind regards,

João

Topic:

SC1-PM-19-2017: PPI for uptake of standards for the exchange of digitalised healthcare records

Forthcoming

Publication date:

Types of action:

PPI Public Procurement of Innovative solutions

DeadlineModel:
Opening date:

single-stage

Deadline:

14 March 2017 17:00:00

Topic Description

Specific Challenge:

The use of interoperability standards is essential to the wider deployment of an EU eHealth single market. Despite previous Framework Programmes investments, there is still a profound lack of deployed interoperability between healthcare systems and services delivering healthcare and a need to stimulate the public procurement of eHealth solutions and integrated care services addressing complex organisational structures and interactions among people (recipients of care, care-givers, and others).

Scope:

Proposals should address as primary aim public procurement of innovative solutions (PPI) to facilitate the deployment of an eHealth infrastructure taking into consideration the European eHealth Interoperability Framework and EU guidelines adopted by the eHealth Network. The PPI(s), and any accompanying innovation activities in particular by participating procurers themselves to facilitate the uptake of newly developed solutions, should focus on clear target outcomes such as allowing the sharing of health information, the use of semantically interoperable Electronic Health Records (EHRs) for safety alerts, decision support, care pathways or care coordination. The scope of the PPI(s) is to specify, purchase and deploy innovative ICT based solutions which can deliver sustainable, new or improved healthcare services across organisational boundaries while implementing eHealth interoperability standards and/or specifications (e.g. EN13606, HL7, Continua Alliance, IHE...).

The Commission considers that proposals requesting a contribution from the EU of between EUR 3 and 4 million would allow this specific challenge to be addressed appropriately. Nonetheless, this does not preclude submission and selection of proposals requesting other amounts.

Expected Impact:

·         Wider uptake of eHealth interoperability standards

·         Increased suppliers opportunities from wider market uptake of innovative solutions and services by forming a critical mass on the public demand side

·         Better solutions specifications designed from a demand side perspective

·         More forward-looking, concerted, public sector approach to eHealth interoperability

·         Achieve the wider deployment of eHealth services

·         Create a European role model in the eHealth interoperability field

·         Increasing jobs in health and ICT and contributing to economic growth in the EU in the long-term

·         Support forward looking, concerted public-sector investment strategies that benefit from jointly implementing PPIs across different countries around Europe

Yes, please do keep me abreast of your progress. I look forward to seeing your next steps.