Subject: RE: ITU Document for Review

Friends,

Rex reminds me that 5/19 is not the next EMTC meeting.  We will vote on the changes/comments to this document during our 5/26 meeting.  We will also vote during that meeting regarding inviting Mark Wood to submit his comments under the OASIS umbrella as a subject matter expert for the EMTC.  I have attached his CV to this email.

Thank you for your review and thoughts by list reply here or during our 5/26 EMTC meeting.

Stay well,

Elysa

From: elysajones@yahoo.com <elysajones@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2020 4:55 PM
To: 'emergency@lists.oasis-open.org' <emergency@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: ITU Document for Review

Friends,

OASIS has been asked by the ITU  to review and comment on the “Working Party 5D WORKING DOCUMENT TOWARDS A PRELIMINARY DRAFT REVISION OF REPORT ITU-R M.2291-1 The use of International Mobile Telecommunications (IMT) for broadband Public Protection and Disaster Relief (PPDR) applications (Question ITU-R 229-4/5).

The document referenced posted in Kavi at https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/emergency/download.php/67150/5D_TD_53e_IMT-2020%20Draft%20for%20Review%20-%20OASIS%20EMTC%20review.docx was sent to some EMTC individuals March 6 for review and comment.  The RIM-SC walked through the document carefully making additional tracked changes to those already made in the review document received.  To see those added by the RIM-SC, use the filter function in word.  The CAP-SC also considered the document and changes.  The SCs have agreed these changes and advanced the issue to the EMTC.

As the document references International Mobile Telecommunications, I also sent it to Mark Wood my “go to expert” in mobile telecommunications and emergency communications in general.  His review prompted some overall comments that he would make.  Those comments expressed to me have to do with the resilience of telecommunication as a critical element of PPDR.  This is only mentioned in the document (end of Appendix 6) as a seemingly after thought.  This is a critical issue if the telecom backbone is used as a critical and life-saving infrastructure.

As Mark is not an OASIS member, I will suggest the EMTC recommend to OASIS staff that Mark’s comments be posted as a part of our review.  In order to do that, we will discuss at our meeting tomorrow asking OASIS staff to consider Mark Wood our subject matter expert on these matters and perhaps a rapporteur to the EMTC.

Another EMTC subject matter expert reviewed the document and only expressed one deficiency.  Eliot Christian noted there was no specific reference to CAP/ITU-X.1303.  Please consider this comment and if this should be included and if so, where.

During our May 19 meeting we will vote on whether we want to submit these comments to the ITU by the EMTC.  Comments must be provided to the ITU by June 16 for consideration during the next working group meeting June 23.

Thanks,

Elysa Jones, Chair OASIS

Emergency Management Technical Committee

Emergency Member Section Steering Committee