Subject: RE: [emix] Fw: Protocol Action: 'iCalendar Transport-Independent InteroperabilityProtocol (iTIP)' to Proposed Standard

To the extent that anything as large and anarchic as the IETF has formal
committees, CalConnect *is* calsify. Calconnect is the trade consortium,
calsify is the very much larger IETF mailing list that votes. (Note that the
above is a politically incorrect statement and ignores the freewheeling
nature of the IETF and the many contributions from the larger Calsify...)

The RFCs in this area, 2245, 2446, 2447 define the critical Calendar /
Schedule / Interval / Interoperation standards. All of them are somewhat
long in the tooth. 2445 (the core ICalendar) got updated to 5545 in August.
5545 is the largest semantic set of the three.

ITIP, 2446, also needed updating, in part to match the new 5545. If you look
at the authors, you will recognize the same names. I expect (no private
knowledge) that 2447 will be updated soon as well. This is slow and careful
work because advancing a standard supported by so many vendors without
breaking compatibility is hard work.

People interested in the progress of the standard XML serialization might be
interested in:

http://xcal.cloudapp.net/

The Calendar and Scheduling Consortium has a detailed and far-reaching
work-plan, not all of which is subject to the highly visible, highly
politicized smart grid process - and is not part of PAP04. The richness and
depth of that work is precisely why it is the appropriate foundation for the
SG related work.

tc

"If something is not worth doing, it`s not worth doing well" - Peter Drucker

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc
Chair, OASIS oBIX Technical Committee
OASIS Technical Advisory Board