Subject: RE: [emix] Wal-Mart and Environmental Labeling - more info

The WalMart Sustainability Index

Index Step 1: Supplier Assessment

Walmart will provide each of its 100,000 global suppliers with a survey of 15 simple, but powerful, questions to evaluate their own company’s sustainability. The questions are divided into four areas:

                Energy and Climate

                Natural resources

                Material efficiency

                People and Community

Under these categories are some familiar questions on greenhouse gas emissions and location of factories, but the list also includes some new areas, such as water use and solid waste produced. For a complete list of the questions, visit walmartstores.com

Walmart will ask its top tier U.S. suppliers to complete the survey by Oct.1. Outside the United States, the company will develop timelines on a country-by-country basis for suppliers to complete the survey.

These are not complicated questions, but we have never systematically asked for this kind of information before. This is an important first step in assessing the sustainability of suppliers, but for true transparency, we also need a tool for the sustainability of products.

Fact

http://walmartstores.com/Sustainability/9292.aspx

http://www.sustainabilityconsortium.org/

"If flies are allowed to vote, how meaningful would a poll on what to have for dinner be, and what would be on the menu?" -  Unknown

Toby Considine

Chair, OASIS oBIX Technical Committee
Co-Chair, OASIS Technical Advisory Board
Facilities Technology Office
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC

Email: Toby.Considine@ unc.edu