Subject: Standards for Natural Gas Metering

Some other standards we should compare and contrast to what we do in EMIX

http://www.edigas.org/edigas/

tc

From: Pim van der Eijk [mailto:pim.vandereijk@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:19 AM
To: 'William Cox'; 'Carol Geyer'
Cc: 'Laurent Liscia'; Considine, Toby (Campus Services IT); 'Robin Cover'
Subject: RE: Smart metering for water utilities

Hello,

I worked in this industry years ago. Gas is a much more complex product than electricity, in that the energy that can be obtained from a given quantity of gas varies. For domestic users, gas utilities mix inputs with different caloric values into a consistent result (for safe and economic operation of your gas-operated heating and cooking equipment etc.). Industrial users can tune their systems and can buy nonstandard caloric value gas at better prices.  So the commercial B2B transactions and messages are also more complex. The established standard (at least in my part of the world) is EDIGAS, B2B messaging using the AS2 message protocol. Gas contracts are typically set at fixed rates for long periods.

Pim