Subject: RE: [emix] The Problem of certificates

Let's consider Carbon, as an example.  If a Carbon tax is legislated, then a generator will pay a carbon tax at the source, and ideally we don't need to know the carbon content of the electricity for transactions up the chain because the cost of Carbon is internalized in the electricity price.

If Cap and Trade for Carbon is legislated, then the generator will be allocated or will have to purchase carbon certificates at the source.  Again the cost of Carbon is internalized in the electricity price.

In both cases we only need to know the price of the bundled electricity (including the Carbon cost)  from any source at a location and the transactions can be fast.  Carbon certificates can be traded independent  of electricity in liquid markets where the carbon certificates may have been associated with many electric and non-electric activities across large regions.

Edward G. Cazalet, Ph.D.

101 First Street, Suite 552

Los Altos, CA 94022

650-949-5274