Subject: RE: [emix] The Problem of certificates

Yes, this is the term also used by ETNNA ( http://www.etnna.org/publications.html ) in their  'Intersection between Carbon, RECs, and Tracking' document.   It may be the case that to become a 'certificate' an environmental attribute would need to be 'certified' by some certification body, so it is reasonable to use the more generic term 'commodity' which as described below would represent various types of certificates or credits.

This document also refers to 'null' power (commodity or system electricity).  Is this the base case we've been discussing (when electrons have been stripped of these environmental attributes)?

-Anne

--- On Wed, 2/3/10, Ed Cazalet <ed@cazalet.com> wrote:

From: Ed Cazalet <ed@cazalet.com>
To: emix@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: Wednesday, February 3, 2010, 7:48 PM

Instead of the term Environmental Certificate we might use the term
Environmental Commodity

A definition of an environmental commodity is provided in the attached
document which is available on the apx.com web site.

Definition:

An Environmental Commodity is not a physical commodity. It is an intangible
asset that is nevertheless real and has value. The new Environmental
Commodities include:

Renewable Energy Certificates represent 1 megawatt hour of power generated
by a renewable resource, such as a wind turbine or solar power. These are
also known as RECs, Green Tags or sometimes called renewable energy credits.

Energy Efficiency & Conservation Certificates represent 1 megawatt hour of
power conserved or load reduced. These are sometimes called EE certificates,
EE credits, or White TagsTM.

Carbon Emission Reduction Credits typically represent a 1 metric ton
reduction in CO2 equivalents emitted. The notion of equivalent emissions of
CO2 is useful when quantifying emissions that relate to global warming
because many different gases contribute to global warming, including
methane, nitrous oxide, hydrofluorocarbons, and many others. The
environmental impact of these gases can be converted to an equivalent CO2
basis (CO2e) using standard and generally agreed upon formulas. These
Credits are sometimes called simply Carbon Credits, Carbon Offsets, Verified
Emission Reductions (VERs), or Certified Emission Reductions (CERs). They
are typically related to specific projects that have reduced emissions of
greenhouse gases. In the future, Allowances may also be allocated or
auctioned by regulators to companies. It is likely that emitting companies
will then be required to have allowances and credits in amounts sufficient
to cover their greenhouse gas emissions.

The rest of the document describes environment markets and registries. The
issue of trust, which was raised earlier in this discussion was also
discussed.

I am the founder of APX, but I no longer have any financial interest in the
company.  I have talked to one of the authors of this document, Reiner
Musier, formerly of APX, and he is willing to give us an introduction to
environmental commodities and answer our questions.

Edward G. Cazalet, Ph.D.
101 First Street, Suite 552
Los Altos, CA 94022
650-949-5274