Subject: FW: PEV and Levels of Service

tc

"If something is not worth doing, it`s not worth doing well" - Peter Drucker

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc
Chair, OASIS oBIX Technical Committee
OASIS Technical Advisory Board

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104
http://www.oasis-open.org
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Simmon, Eric Mr. [mailto:eric.simmon@nist.gov]
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 1:38 PM
To: Toby.Considine@gmail.com; 'Jerry Melcher'
Subject: RE: PEV and Levels of Service

Rich can provide documentation on the charging levels.

Level 1 is basically wall outlet power:

single phase 120V x 16A = 1920 VA

Level 2 is higher power AC (up to 80 amps at 208 or 240V single phase in the
US)

240V x 80A = 19200 VA

Level 3 is DC "fast charging" (and vague as to the levels)

SAE j1772 committee is working on level three charging and connectors right
now.  I think this is the most critical one for the success of the EV as it
will make the EV practical for all users (not just those that can work lower
level charging into their schedule).  You might want to send an email to the
pevtg mailing list to start a discussion on charging levels.

I'm in Madrid right now with limited email access, but will try to answer
any further questions in a timely manner.

-Eric