Subject: RE: [emix] Dutch microgrid auction use case

David,

Excellent find.  This appears to be compatible with the dynamic price messaging I have proposed for emix and energy interop.

Ed

Edward G. Cazalet, Ph.D.

101 First Street, Suite 552

Los Altos, CA 94022

650-949-5274

cell: 408-621-2772

ed@cazalet.com

www.cazalet.com

From: Holmberg, David [mailto:david.holmberg@nist.gov]
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 11:48 AM
To: emix@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [emix] Dutch microgrid auction use case

This came out of a SG Today article (3/11) on a microgrid in the Netherlands now using power auction based on work coming out of ECN (Dutch research center), see: http://www.ecn.nl/docs/library/report/2010/e10003.pdf. Seems this is the kind of thing we want to see all over, and a good use case for EMIX. Their main business case application now is to use their technology to enable optimization of the home (at one level) and neighborhood (at next level up) to act as a virtual power plant to bid power into the wholesale market.

On the B2G call, Ram Sastry said that PNNL had based their price responsive work on a common pre-cursor (some work out of HP). The article in SG Today made the claim that the microgrid effort has as one goal to help with standards, and I want to follow up with an ECN contact to try to understand that better.

David Holmberg

NIST Building and Fire Research Lab

301-975-6450