Subject: RE: [emix] Plane of Control vv. Transactional Energy

David:

The plane of control description you mentioned is an interesting element to consider.  The description, along with the “other priorities” mentioned, seem to indicate there are multiple intersecting planes of control and locations for the human interface.  We need to have some elegant simplicity to have a managable system that still leaves the desired planes intact.

There was one statement that seems a bit delicate.  “If some loads must shut down, then we must have rules that say ‘you go to this mode at this price, and shut down at that price’ for all such loads/systems/devices. “   This seems to be trying to force a price system to behave like direct load control program.  In my opinion, we need to be very cautious of this idea of using price for a forced / absolute response.

In the human dynamics process of making significant changes, there is a tendency to want to make the new system function like the old system to which we have grown accustomed.  Sometimes this indicates that we have not adapted to the change and the benefits or features it entails.  In this case there may be reason to also have DR/DLC signals or emergency signals separate from price.  However, we may want to hesitate on the expectation of having price system with a point where a system “must” shut down.   It may be more realistic to assume that, over time, we will develop are reasonable amount of statistical reliability based on experience with pricing.

Gale

Gale R. Horst

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)
Office: 865-218-8078
Cell:   865-368-2603

ghorst@epri.com