Subject: External references

Our general model for EMIX is an envelope, with things written on the outside as well as documents inside.

Price and power and interval are on the outside of the envelope. We can assume that the toaster understands Price and Interval. We can call these the intrinsic parts of the market.

Inside the envelope is the supporting documentation. Source and environmental attributes. Transaction IDs that support auditing. We expect these to be of interest at the interfaces between realms, where electricity moves from one market/owner to another. We can call these the extrinsic parts of the market.

It may be that an intra-market gateway strips [ESI] the extrinsic information if there is no use for it on the inside of a microgrid. For example, if a microgrid accepts only green power, however defined, the intra-market gateway could work by filter out all non-green prices, based on the extrinsic environmental and source attributes, forward only the empty envelopes, with the intrinsic information only. Alternately, the toaster could receive a full envelope, but ignore the extrinsic attributes. Envelope-only scenarios offer some distinct advantages in constrained communication environments.

[Note: This says that we have legitimate different levels of  understanding that we should develop conformance language around. The key distinction is understanding the extrinsic or not, but there may be gradations]

So having described the space, now the questions:

Do we want to have an option of using links for extrinsic elements?

The actual market mix delivered between 10:00 and 10:15 can be found at the URI ….

The environmental attributes can be found at URI…

The description of the offering can be found at URI…

It may be that we want a very tight [small…efficient…parsimonious] way to reference an index at the intra-market gateway. If an inner systems want the details for the 10:00-10:15 market it refers to the gateway. If the intra-market gateway did not itself store or even download the information, it may fetch it from the gateway for market that *it* is participating in. If so, that process is transparent to the inner system.

So, who wants to talk about external references in EMIX…

tc

"Energy and persistence conquer all things." -- Benjamin Franklin

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

OASIS Technical Advisory Board
TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar