Subject: RE: [emix] Differences between Past, Present, and Future

On the issue of pricing power during system spikes let me add the following thoughts.

We can price on intervals at the resolution of the meter.  Perhaps a smart meter, its back haul communication and back office data processing is programmed for 15 min intervals even though the physical meter has the capability to sense the rate of delivery nearly instantaneously.  If this is sufficient to price and manage power spikes then that is all we need.

If we need 5 min resolution, or 4 second resolution, we can pass all that data back to the back office.   Or,  more sensibly we can  process the date at the meter or gateway and send back the sum of the product of price and energy for every 4 sec interval in the 15 min interval, for example.  The back end communication and data processing won't need to be modified significantly and the customer will have the incentive to respond to price spikes.

Additionally, I understand that at least some smart meters can respond with special readings.  So if an emergency occurs and a price spike for a defined subinterval of say 10 seconds in a 5 minute interval is sent then the meter can respond with a special reading for that subinterval, without having to measure and price power on fine grained regular intervals.

Edward G. Cazalet, Ph.D.

101 First Street, Suite 552

Los Altos, CA 94022

650-949-5274