Subject: RE: [emix] Power storage strategies

Actually, GE announced such a system last week and is hiring 400 people in Atlanta to staff the new business. It's a substation level product.  Also, I have spoken personally with people at Hitachi and Samsung who are testing a 1 MW battery.  Such a battery from another vendor is in test operation behind PJM's main offices. So local here takes on a new meaning depending on whether it is truly behind the customer meter, or behind the distribution grid meters (substations and the like), or on a transmission system.  Theoretically, batteries of this size could replace generators used for voltage or frequency support.

Phil Davis

From: David RR Webber (XML) [mailto:david@drrw.info]
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2010 10:58 AM
To: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Cc: emix@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [emix] Power storage strategies

Toby,

It occurs to me that local storage can potentially play a role here - depending on its efficiency of course.  One can anticipate that future technology will offer higher % there - especially if market forces drive that equation.

Therefore - a future system could offset power surges by drawing on locally stored resources that were captured during off-peak or excess capacity.  In fact such a system may notify suppliers that they can "push" excess power to local storage at some pre-determined cost point - and of course also need to indicate that the storage facility is at a certain % level, or if empty - accept units at a higher cost rate.

DW

This email has been scanned for SPAM content and Viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.