Subject: RE: [emix] Power storage strategies

I missed the call/discussion this week.  But wanted to note that the system intelligence must be able to self discover and modify in some fashion as what David described.  When dealing with resources that can either degrade or be upgraded/enhanced over time, we have to have an automatic adjusting mechanism which is very similar to a discovery mechanism.  Otherwise the system resources will either become underutilized or over committed over time.

Gale R. Horst

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)
942 Corridor Park Blvd.
Knoxville, TN 37932
Office: 865-218-8078
Cell:   865-368-2603

ghorst@epri.com

From: David RR Webber (XML) [mailto:david@drrw.info]
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2010 12:36 PM
To: Edward Cazalet
Cc: emix@lists.oasis-open.org; Toby.Considine@gmail.com; 'Phil Davis'

Ed,

Never under estimate an engineers ability to add complexity!

What is wrong with the simple notion of % full and capacity total in MW and storage ratio?!?!  Completely agnostic to the storage device characteristics!!!

If I know the storage is 60% full and has a total capacity of 100 MW - and a default ratio of power to storage of 4:1 then I know I can push 40 x 4 = 160 MW at the device to fill it.  Plus if device is sending out updating in intervals - I might send it 100MW - then it says it is 85% full - so I adjust accordingly.

Once it is full it sends "Stop!" - simple!

If you want to get clever on your backend systems - you may track actual storage ratio achieved compared to default - or the device can adjust that itself.

Thanks, DW