Subject: Do we need reserves?

Ed C and I were comparing notes this afternoon, and it struck me that Reserves are just Options.

Recall that the core EMIX types are Emix, Options, and Resources. All three of them have a  Product as one of their elements. I got to wondering whether Option, whose current definition is that from the CIM, and reserves are the same.

A reserve is a promise to respond  if asked within a certain time frame. If that promise is made by a slow starting generator, then it cannot make that promise unless it is already spinning. Hence the term Spin-Reserve.

An option is a promise to sell a product at a set price, if asked within a period. The CIM option includes a response time to provide the product.

I think that all the reserves are *really* Option Products. The difference between Spinning Reserve, Non-Spinning Reserve, and Operating Reserve is the warranted response  time within the option.  Options currently do not have a start time or duration in our schema. Clearly they must have a scheduled duration, unless they are eternal.

I think options could have their own WS-Calendar sequence, fully scheduled. That sequence could be a single interval. (This generator is spinning reserve for the rest of the day.) It could be a set of intervals. (Weekdays from 11:00 to 6:00 for the next month, this generator promises to respond in 10 minutes to provide 50 MW of power for up to 5 hours) The 50MW of power for up 5 hours is the Product. The Response time is the optionExcerciseLeadTime as defined in the CIM Option we already have. Weekdays from 11:00 to 6:00 for the next month is simply a Sequence.

This approach converts all reserves into classes of options, some for different products…

Please discuss.

tc

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it” -- Upton Sinclair.

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

OASIS Technical Advisory Board
TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar

TC Editor: EMIX, EnergyInterop

U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104

http://www.tcnine.com/
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com