Subject: RE: Extended Price and Unit Price on the outside of the Envelope

In the trivial case (single interval. single block, no ramp, specified time and date) then this all collapses, the product is trivial, and the distinction between the envelop and product is meaningless. Only in that circumstance does the unit price make sense on the envelope, and then it is not needed.

The EMIX envelope may be delivering other things than power. Natural Gas was explicitly mentioned in the charter, although declared out of scope for v1.0. VoltVar is a different product than power. Units are only defined w/I the Product space, in this case, power. That is, Units are not defined for the generic EMIX envelope. This is critical to maintain extensibility in the manner promised. Our line is “To define a new product, all you need to do is derive a product description from the emix.Product,, and then it will ride in an EMIX envelope, and then EI can deliver it.” (Perhps that sentence needs to make it into wd14)

Product may be a reference to an external object, a gluon pointing to something in web-space. In that case the description of the product is nowhere in the envelope. This is a fully allowed and legal use of EMIX, whether the Product is a defined load shape, a defied DR, or a defined Generation resource. Again, we don’t want to break that.

Again, going to the Grocery store, it is common for single beers to have a different price than the six pack, it is common to get a case of canned tomatoes with a case price (based on the UPC on the box) or crack the box and buy the same dozen at a different price (based on the slightly different UPC on each can.) If a particular market wants to declare for conformance that price to always matches, that’s OK. If a different market wants to charge a $20 participation fee on each trade handled, that is also OK.

Perhaps the only purpose of the outside of the envelope is to route purchasing approvals. My EIS can make any decisions under $5. Perhaps the 3rd party energy services provider charges a 1% transaction fee on all transactions. We cannot design EMIX only for the precise needs of the CAL ISO of November 2010.

We are building to handle today, but also markets that we do not know.

The conformance statements are good. The ones listed probably belong in profile-by-profile (meaning market by market) rules.

tc

"If something is not worth doing, it`s not worth doing well" - Peter Drucker

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar

TC Editor: EMIX, EnergyInterop

U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104

http://www.tcnine.com/
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com