Subject: RE: [emix] RE: [energyinterop] Energy Delivery, Space and EMIX

Carl,

Thank you for the additional information and link. Based on this overview it would seem that for the purposes of EMIX, GML would be a better choice than KML. I am not aware of any requirements to express any visualization characteristics. EMIX deals with points and areas on the electric grid pertaining to points of generation, transport, and distribution (delivery points) and must be able to integrate with GIS systems used by System and Market Operators and Utilities.

I will look into the differences further, this has been a great help.

Bruce Bartell

Xtensible Solutions

Mobile: +1.321.258.6500

bbartell@xtensible.net  |   www.xtensible.net

From: Carl Reed [mailto:creed@opengeospatial.org]
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 12:22 PM
To: Bartell, Bruce; Considine, Toby (Campus Services IT); emix@lists.oasis-open.org; energyinterop@lists.oasis-open.org

Bruce -

GML (Geography Markup Language) is an OGC standard that is also an ISO standard. GML is an XML grammar based for the modeling and interchange of geospatial content (or content with a geospatial property). KML, also an OGC standard, is designed for visualization of geospatial content in earth browser systems. KML was not designed as an content interchange mechanism - although folks do so. One issue to be aware of is that KML has no concept of  "feature". GML does.

Regards

Carl Reed, PhD

CTO

OGC