Subject: RE: [emix] Documents and SGIP

Excellent question. Here is my non-normative interpretation of our (EMIX) process.

It is a principle in OASIS that we not change specifications while they are out for PR.  Doing so, in effect, says to the reviewers “we don’t care what you think, we have already moved on.” This tends to limit the participation in reviews. After the first PR,  the review need be no longer than two weeks.

It is best practice, however, to record issues as they come in, rather than waiting until later. Once issues are recorded, we can, of course, discuss them, and propose solutions. This is much cleaner when Jira is set up, and we can formally work the process.

When all the comments are in, and the PR is over, we must of course evaluate all the perspectives and comments, and weigh the competing interests.

For EnergyInterop, especially the non-EMIX participants, this is an opportunity to note concerns and issues. It is of course also an opportunity for wider interests as well.  For the participant in both TCs, it is easy to log those issues directly, and begin working the issues.

In a similar way, I hope that EMIX (and EnergyInterop) folks take the opportunity to comment on issues in WS-Calendar. A delicate dance goes on there, with the specification being simultaneously worked within the IETF and OASIS processes.

If we look back to our current process, in Jira, it fits nicely with this. We have developed our own way of using the workflows.

1)      An Issue is logged.

2)      An issue is opened when someone starts to work it. Proposed resolutions and comments can bounce back and forth.

3)      When a proposal is ready to change the spec, and logged in Jira as  a resolution, we mark it resolved.

4)      If necessary, the TC reviews Resolved issues, and can either approve the resolution (Apply Resolution) or reject the resolution.

5)      The editor actually inserts the “Resolution Applied” issues into the spec, and checks it off the list by closing the Issue.

There is no reason why we can’t have many issues with the resolution stated (3) and ready for step 4, for review and approval, and quick application to the specification and artifacts. The TC would come to any decision-making process with the full scope of comments before it.

This honors transparency, and respects the review, while enabling us to continue working.

There are a number of examples indicated in the current emix Jira, and those examples require prose. I would recommend that each assignee develop it as a document, contribute that documnent, and then propose in Jira that “The issue be reolved by incorporating document at link ----- as Appendix S. This will leave us with all existing issues also ready to close in short order. With any luck, and some diligence, a week after the review we could have the specification ready for another PR.

tc

"If something is not worth doing, it`s not worth doing well" - Peter Drucker

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar

TC Editor: EMIX, EnergyInterop

U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104

http://www.tcnine.com/
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com