Subject: namespaces, versioning, and backward compatibility

I recall a discussion recently on versioning and backward
compatibility.  I'd like to propose we use a major/minor versioning
scheme such that the major version is captured in the namespace but the
minor version is captured in the schema element 'version' attribute.
So, for instance, the current schema element declaration:

<xs:schema targetNamespace="http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/emix";

would become

<xs:schema targetNamespace="http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/emix-1";
elementFormDefault="qualified" attributeFormDefault="unqualified"
version="1.0">

This would allow for minor versions to be created/released without
changing the namespace, maintaining backward compatibility across minor
versions (as long as no other changes were made that broke compatibility).

-Anne