Subject: Re: [emix] namespaces, versioning, and backward compatibility

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, I think using the built-in attribute is very straightforward and
easy to maintain.

The aspect of using minor/major version numbers that has the most draw
for me is that the format has recognizable meaning since it is used in
most software versioning which should be familiar to people working with
the standard schemas.  You can tell right away if you are looking at a
major version (3.0) which may break compatibility, or a minor version
that has a stable base (2.3.1).  How often have you made decisions on
what to download just looking at those numbers?  I know I do that all
the time.  The recognition is instantaneous.  You can make decisions
based on that immediate understanding.  It makes it easier, and more
clear, for our eventual implementors and for end users as well.  No need
to delve into the release first -- there is some immediate intelligence
in the format and meaning of the numbers that is well understood in the
software world.

I also believe that it would make it easier to automate checking (say in
a tool or an application) on whether you are looking at a
backward-compatible version or not.

-Anne