Subject: RE: [energyinterop] Thinking about Constraints and Market Context

I feel there is still a lot of confusion to work out and discuss at our call today.

A Resource (DR, DER, Generation) is an emix thing.  A commodity ( electricity, gas, etc. is another emix thing.

A Resource is a capability to produce a product. It is not a product.  We can call a resource a different kind of product if we want to but when we use the same name, product. for both it leads to confusion.

PRODUCT

A Product is a commodity transacted at a location, for an interval of time or a set of intervals, at a rate of delivery or total delivery over each interval and at a price for the set or sequence of intervals.

A Transaction for a product binds the two parties to the transaction to delivery without further notice or interactions needed.  If delivery is not according to the transactions the market context rules apply.

A Tender for a Product is a Buy Tender or a Sell Tender.  A Tender is good until withdrawn or it expires.  Some argue that is would be useful to apply further constraints as to when the tender can be accepted by the counter party and constraints on what time of day acceptance can happen.

Constraints should not be used to describe the sequence of intervals in a tender as that is already provided  by the product definition applied to the WS-Calendar intervals and gluons.

An option on a Product is either a call or put option or perhaps a combination of the  two.  An option is a standing tender that the option holder pays the option maker to make available.  There may be time windows and exercise lead times for that specified when the option can be exercised and turned into a Transaction.

RESOURCE

A Resource is a capability to produce products.  When control (dispatch rights) are sold from one party to another it is the capability that is exchanges and not the products.  When the resource is dispatched products are produced and consumed.

Typically Resource Capability descriptions are more complex than product descriptions because the capabilities of the machines or the load curtailment process) that produce the product must also be described.  In the case of generation resource there are often economic requirements such as startup costs, minimum load costs in addition to the price of any products produced.

PROPOSAL

Don’t try to mix tenders and transactions and options for Products with Interactions for Resources.

Edward G. Cazalet, Ph.D.

101 First Street, Suite 552

Los Altos, CA 94022

650-949-5274