Subject: Examples, for use and Misuse

I have heard the requests for examples. I avoided including them in the PR, because of misuse of samples by some reviewers. Any examples must be understood in the context of the use the reviewer makes of them. Some use them to read. Some plug them into tools they were not written in. Some use them to in effect, “spell-check” the specification and then stop reviewing on the first spelling error. Some do not seem to understand the tools that they recently downloaded.

All examples are non-normative in the OASIS process. That bears repeating. If there is any discrepancy between the samples and the published schemas, the schemas are correct.

The examples in this collection were prepared as part of the editing process. They were tested in a couple different development environments (Liquid XML Studio and in XML Spy).

Cautionary note to reviewers: It is noteworthy that they would not validate in these two environments at the same time.

·         In XMLSpy, I needed to add the XML structure schema and then directly and explicitly reference the individual schemas in each XML fragment. XMLSpy menu options make this easy to do, but those locations, which could be on the reviewer’s hard drive on out on the internet, vary with each reviewers approach. Needless to say, any real XML fragment in an actual transaction exchanged between trading partners would never include that sort of locations on a message by message basis.

·         In XML Studio, I had to create a project, and import all examples into the project. I could then reference the schemas through the menus, and the information would be stored as project metadata, but never added to the files. This produces more realistic fragments.

Because of prior comments, I must state that if you are referencing schemas from the internet, you probably cannot do validation while on a plane.

The issues above are part of why all examples are non-normative, and are intended only to illustrate some use of the specification. Reviewers are expected to understand their own tool-sets and tool choices.

With that cautionary note, share them as you will.

tc

“The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.”
– George Bernard Shaw.

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar

TC Editor: EMIX, EnergyInterop

U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104

http://www.tcnine.com/
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com