Subject: RE: [energyinterop] RE: Initial Port of OpenADR to EnergyInterop

I don’t want to get too far off track with this discussion since obviously the primary focus of the TC is on semantic models and interaction specifications, but when it comes to interfaces my personal recommendation would be that the OASIS TC work on common internet based interfaces such as simple SOAP and REST and that we collaborate with other organizations to integrate our semantic models with their “grid side” interfaces.  I don’t think we have to worry too much about playing favorites.  It’ll be hard enough convincing other organizations to take this course and devote the requisite effort.  I think that candidates include:

BACnet (commercial building)

OPC (industrial)

SEP (residential)

61850 (Utility operations)

Note that by listing these organizations I am not implying that they tightly integrate the models created by this TC with their “inside the facility” control protocols since we all agree that what happens in the facility stays in the facility, but each of the organizations listed above have a notion of what it means to interface to systems outside the facility (e.g. BACnet web services) over some wider area network such as the internet.  That is where we should be collaborating.

If we were somehow able to collaborate with the above organizations and agree to a common semantic model for transporting  son of OpenADR messages over their grid side interfaces then that would be quite an accomplishment toward creating an industry wide standard for a common DR signal.

-ed koch