Subject: RE: [energyinterop] Pricing Concepts for Discussion

Hi Ed C,

Thanks so very much for the detailed response. Yes, I am now getting the whole picture as my worldview was/is limited to our domain of expertise: homes/building and DR.

I really do think discussions on the relationship between pricing and DR are well worth our time. The reason is that in many circles (including shows and conventions), Dynamic Pricing is evoked as the panacea of all ills in energy consumption and DR.

Thanks again and with kind regards,

********************************
Michel Kohanim, C.E.O
Universal Devices, Inc.

(p) 818.631.0333
(f) 818.708.0755
http://www.universal-devices.com
********************************

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Cazalet [mailto:ed@cazalet.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2009 7:41 AM
To: michel@universal-devices.com; energyinterop@lists.oasis-open.org

Michael

Thank you very much for your comments and feedback.

First, with respect to DR, the pricing concepts herein are more associated with better electricity pricing than with DR.  Whether we think of better electricity pricing as an element of DR. or separate concept is a debate not worth our time, in my opinion.

Second, with respect to your question on standardizing the length of the measurement intervals, I believe some standards will need to be developed.  However, at the level of the protocols (if that is the right word) for defining price signals with orders/transactions/positions we can be more general.  The protocol could be used for flat pricing, where the price never changes.  In this case, monthly intervals and measurement are all that are needed for billing.  It could be used for seasonal pricing or on-peak/off peak pricing.  However, the idea is that the industry will evolve over time, as needed, to more refined measurements and pricing.  The evolution will be not just for managing peak loads but for efficiently balancing the grid on an hourly, 5 min, or perhaps 4 second basis.  The protocol I outlined should handle all such cases.

All consumers and generators on the same grid need not carry out transactions on the same time intervals. For example, some consumers can operate based on hourly time intervals where the hourly price is the average of 12 5-min price.  At the same time large consumers and large generators can operate on a 5 min interval, for  example.  It would be very helpful if all time intervals are synchronized and sub intervals are all contained within a longer interval and do not cross the boundaries of the longer intervals.

Third, you have commented on the importance of price in DR scenarios.  Clearly one's response to price is subjective.  There are also a fairness and economic issues regarding pricing that are presently outside the scope of this discussion.  Directives to cut demand in emergencies may continue to be effective and deployed.
24/7 automated electricity load management to stabilize the grid more efficiently than ramping fossil generation cannot be done with such directives.  With 33% intermittent renewables by 2020 in California and similar requirements in other US states and countries, at some time in the future, we will need to use prices to manage both load and distributed and central generation on the grid, I believe.  Distributed intelligent devices such as your company provides are ideal for responding to dynamically changing prices on more refined intervals'  The response will be automatic and may consider the subjective preferences of each customer and emergency directives.

Best regards, Ed

Edward G. Cazalet, Ph.D.
101 First Street, Suite 552
Los Altos, CA 94022