Subject: Report coming out of Smart Grid SDO Conference

I prepared the attached schedule as a summary of issues most relevant to the Energy Interoperability TC coming out of the Smart Grid SDO Conference on August 3-4. We will want to discuss it on the next call.

High Level overview:

WS-Calendar will be done by year end, to be used as a component in Price and in Energy Interoperability. We can use place-holders until then.

EMIX, now in formation, is due out for review in April 2010. EMIX will itself consume WS-Calendar. EMIX (Price/Product) is critical to almost every Energy Interoperation – we will have to use placeholders until then.

NIST will unveil the Smart Grid Roadmap, based upon the EPRI work, at GridWeek in September.

Numerous groups are working on the common semantics, use cases for Price, Product, DR, and DER. These groups are due to complete their work in October, for report-out at GridInterop in November. These reports will be donated to Energy Interoperation and to EMIX.

Issues from the Workshop

Prices and Pricing. These words created the most discord. Dynamic pricing is an appropriate goal for Energy Interoperation. Pricing is not. Pricing, to many, refers to algorithms as to how a price is computed. This conflict of terms caused much dissension, discussion until we recognized the issue. EMIX communicates Prices, not Pricing.

Product Attributes. Mike Oldak brought one half of the room around when he declared that Product Attributes are better referred to as Terms and Conditions. This is probable a good lens to look at this issue with

Also from Mike Oldak

There are three kinds of DR:

-          Pure prices, and you can do what you want

-          Contracted Response, in which the end node responds as per contract when signaled

-          Emergency Curtailment

Energy Interoperation includes DR and DER. DR and DER blur in the middle: turning something off or running on stored energy have the same effect on the grid load. The Committee Draft 1 for Energy Interoperation would benefit from the clarity of this summary.

In terms of grid interactions with the end nodes, there is another fast track initiative on sharing customer energy usage with the end node and delegable to third parties. This standard, current with the overly general name ADE (Automated Data Exchange) can present one of the longest requested sources of information to the building and home automation market.

The Energy Interoperation Committee may want to create a subcommittee to prepare white papers on Energy Interoperation and the many standards. Such a white paper could revise and extend the narrative portions of the CEC OpenADR specification, and create models defining communications between end nodes and the grid. EMIX to understand what’s on the market, Energy Interoperability to negotiate price and response with the grid, and [son of ADE] to act as the feedback/regulator.

tc

"When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us." -- Alexander Graham Bell

Toby Considine

Chair, OASIS oBIX Technical Committee
OASIS Technical Advisory Board
OASIS Energy Interoperation TC