Subject: WS-Calendar

Title: WS-Calendar

I read with interest Tobys recent post about WS-Calendar as well as his blog entry:

http://www.newdaedalus.com/articles/2009/1/24/coordinating-time-and-energy.html

I saw references to WS-Calendar in the NIST notes as well.  Im hoping Toby or others can elaborate on what such a specification bring over and above the current data types available from XML Schema.

I can easily picture interval based pricing like the Texas pricing I reviewed with the TC:

-Interval

--StartTime xs:dateTime

--Interval xs:duration

--Price xs:decimal

What would a WS-Calendar specification bring?  Also, will that specification appropriately deal with “naïve” / local time (a time without a timezone)? In building protocols such as BACnet, schedules are defined to start given local time with the responsibility of the device clock to be aware of the current local time.

Regards,

Dave

p.s. Ive observed a challenge with C#, it doesnt seem to have a naïve time type and will assume that a time without a timezone is local to the server.  But if that time is serialized and passed to another timezone, it will be unserialized with an adjustment for timezone (i.e. if you set dateTime = 4 am on a server in Chicago, pass it to a server in New York, it will unserialize as 5 am.)  This detail probably isnt appropriate for this list, but it is an example of the complexities when you use times across systems.

David Wilson

Enterprise Solutions Portfolio Manager

Trane Commercial Systems

Ingersoll Rand

Office: +1.651.407.4168

Mobile: +1.612.741.2759

Email: davidcwilson@trane.com

www.trane.com

The information contained in this message is privileged and intended only for the recipients named. If the reader is not a representative of the intended recipient, any review, dissemination or copying of this message or the information it contains is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender, and delete the original message and attachments.